Benedict Cooper: Track Records: Ankle Bone Shooting And Wrestling At Mongolia's Naadam: "I can think of several good reasons not to do it, but none of them came to mind when I got back to my compartment after getting up to go to the bathroom at 5:45 a.m. to find that the party was already in swing. I painfully glugged down several shots of the stuff, feeling decidedly ropey by the time we arrived in Ulaanbaatar.
But that's when I realised how excited my cabin-mates were about arriving in the Mongolian capital. One of them had been on tenterhooks the whole way, not resting for more than about five minutes at a time the whole way from Irkutsk.
And now that I'm leaving Mongolia, I think I know why. As soon as I arrived in the capital I felt lighter and more relaxed.
After the grit of Siberia, it was a refreshing change to be smiled at in shops and cafes and even on the street."
'via Blog this'